I bought my 270 WSM in 2002. When the caliber first came out. Load data was sparse. Nothing in the manuals, So most of what I loaded came from emails and calls to powder companies.

I found MagPro to give the best velocity and accuracy in my rifle with the Barnes TSX bullets. RL-19 was a very close rival.

Accurate Powder showed 74.2 grains as the max with a Hornady cup/core bullet. I worked up to that load with my Barnes TSX, Nosler Partitions, Nosler BST, Hornaday SST. I got faster velocities with the Barnes TSX than any of the other bullets. My groups tightened with each bump in the powder up to the max listed by Accurate at 74.2g of MagPro.

I shot a lot of bullets with that load data. No sticky ejections, No hard bolt lifts, No flatened primers, I got 8 reloads per brass before I threw them out. and there was no reason to throw the brass away, No split necks etc. I just thought it was time to get new brass. That load at my elevation/humidity/temperatures chronied at 3400fps. We shot it out of 3 different rifles over 3 different chronies.

When Barnes finally released data for the 140g TSX and MagPro, I see their max load at 70.5 grains. I decided that while I never exceeded Accurates load data for the Hornaday bullet, I'm too hot when compared to the Barnes Data. So I have backed off my load to 73.0 grains of MagPro. My groups opended up a little at this charge. ( 1" instead of .6") But that is insignificant to me with a hunting load. I mean it's still "minute of elk" accuracy.

You will need to work up what works best for your rifle. Different manuals show different MAX loads. I would suggest you stick with what Barnes has published in their manual ( Which outlawlineman has listed above). I absolutely saw faster velocities with the Barnes TSX than any other bullet over the same powder. And faster velocities probably mean increased pressures.

Looking back at my excel spreadsheet of load data we expermented with, I would suggest MagPro, RL-19 or Retumbo as the better powders for the 140g TSX bullet in a 270WSM. RL-19 will also work well with the 130 grain bullets, and Retumbo works best with the 150g bullets. The thing I liked about Retumbo, is my point of impact didn't change when I changed bullets with this powder. A 140g Nosler Partition hit the same POI as a 140g TSX or a 140g BST. Where with MagPro switching the bullets I saw as much as a 6" change in my POI. I think MagPro excels at the 140g bullets, is just average in the 130 and 150 grains . So look at what other bullets you may want to load and buy a powder that you can use with more loads.

Last edited by LeosRedFox; 12/11/08.