We have a 98 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 99 Durango, 2000 Dakota Club Cab, 93 Wrangler.All are 4x4.
The 3500 hauls our 11 ft. Lance and tows the Jeep or our 16Ft boat. 14.5 mpg.
The Durango is the wifes daily driver( she still works to pay for our toys) It has the 318 cu in engine and gets 13.5 mpg in town and 17 mpg highway. 50,000 miles,two fan belts and a fuel tank sending unit.
The Dakota is my daily driver, 4.7 engine, AT. It gets 15mpg in town and 20mpg highway. 40,000 miles , gas and oil. Both the Durango and the Dakota still wear the original tires.
I traded a 96 Dodge 1500 Club Cab 4x4 with 360 engine and 86,000 miles on in on the Dakota. Loved that truck, plenty of power rode and drove nice but needed brakes and front axle ujoints that I couldnt find time to replace. Wife said swap it, so being her obediant servant By-by 1500.
I really like the Dakota It drives like a car, gets great mileage, and fits between the trees better than the 1500 did. It has noticably more room in the cab than a (gasp) Ford Ranger. Just a little more truck all the way around.
The Durango is protected underneath by skid plates, the Dakota does not have them, wish it did. Look before you buy.
The 4.7 with 355 gears gives it the same snap as the 1500 with the 360 had.
A "tow package" entails conciderably more than bolting on a frame mounted hitch. You need an aux.trans.cooler so you are less likely to fry the trans.,and proper trailer tow wiring harness that includes relays for the trailer lights. Headlite switches wont handle the added amp load for long without relays.
Somebody mentioned "weak Transmissions". IME most transmission problems are driver induced. Usually by pulling more than the truck was designed for, and doing it in too high a gear. That applies to all trucks, all sizes. Its sort of like trying to make a 300 win mag out of an 06 by going three grains over published max load. You might get away with it a few times but sooner or later............
Uncle Rupe.