I've hunted antelope in Wyoming a lot and know many other very serious pronghorn guys that hunt regularly in several areas of Wyoming. Buzz is 100% correct. This is my take on the red desert units and antelope hunting in Wyoming, in general.

The trophy quality of goats in Wyoming, even in the very difficult to draw units, even on good years is MARGINAL. What Wyoming's got is numbers - lots and lots and lots of goats.

If you are going to be very pleased with a fun hunt, and a good-looking "mounter" buck that's in the 13.5-16" range that will score in the 70-75" range.. pretty much ANY unit in Wyoming will provide that on any given year, and it can be done comfortably in less than 3 days. Pick a unit and go hunting..

If you are looking for a buck that will score 80+.. my suggestion is to wait to submit your application until the last day, watch the winter severity in the units you are considering, talk to G&F/BLM field biologists and find out the winter condition, and based on that - pick a unit that has good numbers, and lots of ground that you can hunt, and plan on spending a week to look. Even on a good year, in one of the top units, you'll likely have to pass up dozens and dozens of those "mounter" bucks I'm mentioning above before you come across a legit 80+ monster caliber pronhorn. That's just to maximize your odds though, because almost any unit in the state "could" produce a great buck. Some units that are very easy to draw produce giants. I've scoured the most isolated areas in region 57 for days on days and didn't see anything remotely worthy of that tag... then have seen giant bucks within a short drive of town, along side a highway in easier to draw units. Go figure.

Most of the units considered "premier" by many in the Red Desert were hammered last winter. Huge winterkill. My suggestion would be to stay north of I-80 at a miniumum.