Recently aquired a nice used Marlin 336 in 30-30 and decided to rechamber it to 30-30 Ackley Improved. I'd done this previously on a Win 94 that I was rebarreling and it worked out quite well for that, so I decided to do one more since I already had the reamer.

Here's the rifle:

[Linked Image]

I had to fabricate a shop expedient reamer extension as the 3/8" extender that I had wouldn't fit into the rear of the Marlin's receiver. Used a section of 1/2" copper tubing for this and it worked just fine.

The nice thing about the Marlins is that you can leave the barrel on the receiver when rechambering.

The whole operation was a success and I've already had it to the range for initial tests.

However, I had to cut that short as I discovered that the loads that were just fine in my Winchester were a bit too hot in the Marlin... since I used the same reamer, I can only figure the difference lies between the microgroove rifling and the ballard style of the replacement barrel that I used for the Winchester.

So, loaded up some more test rounds at reduced levels to try again. I am aiming for 2500 fps from the 20" Marlin. The 26" Winchester easily hits 2600 fps with 150 grain Speer bullets.

I'll post the range report after I get that done - hopefully this weekend.

After the rechamber, I decided to refinish the stock - removing the white line spacers and using spirit stain and BLO to finish. Finished up by installing a Leupold one piece base and rings to hold the 2x7 Nikon Prostaff in low mount. Just about perfect for this rifle/cartridge I figure.

ETA - if the pic of the rifle isn't showing - ist because the board where its posted is going through maintenence - so please be patient, it'll show up later. Thanks.

Last edited by OSOK; 02/06/09.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG