Originally Posted by rondrews
I would like to start using shorts instead of the high velocity stuff, because I don't want bullets flying around a mile away. I can't spend a fortune, but I don't need anything fancy. I have a single shot Rossi, that I can use, but I'd like to buy a semi-auto if there is one around. Thanks.

High Velocity shorts are not any slower than High Velocity long rifles and Standard Velocity shorts are not any slower than Standard Velocity long rifles in general. They simply use a 29 or 27(HP) grain bullet instead of a 40 or 38(HP) grain bullet.

Actually, the best cure for ricochets is to use hyper velocity hollowpoints like CCI Stingers. They tend to be more likely to fragment rather than glance. I have found the CCI CB Longs and Shorts with their very low velocities to be quite ricochet prone (they are flat out bouncy). If ricochets are a big safety concern for you, then you may need to rethink your tactics. No offense please. I just remember an uncle's cow having to be put down after a 12 gauge slug from a distant dear hunter ricocheted into her. The slug was quite mangled but the damage was done.

As to the subject of semi-autos that feed all three cartridge lengths (short, long, and long rifle), the Remington 552 is the last remaining production model that will still handle the chore (quite pricey). Savage made and sold a semi-auto tube repeater that fead all three for decades and it was marketed under Savage, Stevens, and Springfield brand names. These sale at gunshows for $100 to $150.

A good alternative would be the Henry Lever Action. I have a friend that shoots nothing but CCI CB Shorts in his Henry and it operates without a hitch.

Last edited by sheffieldshooter; 02/13/09.