I would like to hear some opinions on what you all believe is a good maximum load for the 45-70 using Laser Cast 405gr FP bullets and IMR-3031 powder in a Marlin 1895G. I am looking for a load that will be used strictly (and rarely) for that one in a thousand chance that we may be charged by a large brown bear while fishing remote coastal areas in Alaska. So I am not as concerned about brutal recoil as I am about having the best chance of stopping a bear if needed. However, I also think it would be kind of nice if I didn�t kill myself with my own load before the I even get the chance to go fishing.

Laser Cast sent me their load data for the 1895 and it shows 38.5grs max of 3031. I worked up to 38.5grains and it just felt like a very light load (recoil wise). I was talking to another fella at the range and he stated he uses 40grs of 3031 with the same bullets and gun. So I worked up to that and it still seems light to me. I did a google search and discovered that many people load wayyy more then this � as high as 50 grains of IMR-3031 with the same bullets that I am using. That seems like a very huge increase from the published data to me. I am not very comfortable moving further because 40grains is already past the load data specs. However, since I don't have much experience loading the 45-70, maybe my fears are unfounded?

So, I would really appreciate some input on why there seems to be such a huge difference in what folks actually use and the published load data. I know that some folks don�t like to discuss their loads on a public forum so a PM would be great also.

TIA