I'm looking for a good rimfire scope for a good squirrel gun. (Good is relative to my modest means - no Coopers, Swarovski's, etc.)

I want to mount this on a Remington Model 5 (by Zastava, aka Charles Daly). I'm not into large, gimmicky scopes, don't need to view the rings of Saturn. etc. I want something trim that won't require high rings and won't overwhelm the rifle.

There really aren't many choices that suit my tastes when I review the field, and one of the Leupold VX-1s seems likely to get the nod.

Would anyone care to comment on these scopes, alternative scopes, scoping the Model 5 or anything else useful?

Where does eye-relief come into the decision? So often it is discussed in terms of needing plenty so you don't "crawl the stock" and get whacked in the eye in recoil, but I wonder if the opposite applies in this case. Being this is a relatively compact rifle with a very short mounting area, is there an issue of having too much eye-relief and having to hold your head awkwardly back on the stock?

TIA!

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~