In October 25, 1995, I loaded up about 80 rounds of .44 magnum cartridges with varying amounts of several different powders (H110, IMR4227, 2400 & Winchester 296) in an attempt to find the most accurate load in my old style Ruger .44 magnum, semi-automatic Carbine.

But when I got to the range, got everything set up and fired several rounds, I found that my Ruger Carbine was throwing the new, once-fired, nickel-plated brass cartridge cases all over the place.

This had previously never been a "problem" since I usually took my two oldest Grandsons (ages 6 & 7 back then) with me to the rifle range, especially when I shot any semi-automatic rifles or pistols, so they could "chase-the-brass" for me.

I gathered up my empties and found I had "lost" 3 cases after firing about 10 rounds... I wasn't a "happy camper". After not being able to find those 3 almost new cartridge cases, I remember WHY I always took my two Grandsons to the rifle range with me when I shot the Ruger Carbine.

So I gathered up my "stuff" (including the chronograph) and went home fully intending to bring my two Grandsons back to the range with me within a day or so and finish the shooting session.

Weeeeellllllll... I recently "re-discovered" the neglected cartridge boxes still almost filled with reloaded .44 magnum cartridges that I loaded in October of 1995 and I got to thinking about EXACTLY what's been written here concerning the accuracy of IMR4227 which is one of the powders I used to load some of test ammo for the .44 carbine that I didn't ever get around to shooting through the carbine.

And so, I wanted to "thank" y'all for the generous sharing of the experiences you've had in using various powders in the .44 magnum.

Obviously, with the carbine, recoil is really NOT a factor to be concerned about, but accuracy is, especially to an "accuracy-nut" like me.

I just MIGHT have to get the ol' Ruger Carbine out again and find a younger brother or cousin of my two oldest Grandsons who are much older now... and not likely to wanna chase "empties" for Grampa anymore... even tho' I let 'em shoot, too. But then... jus' maybe....... grin (Hope springs eternal, eh?)

Time passes SOOOOOOO fast... it seems like it was only a few years ago that the two oldest Grandsons of my nine fine Grandsons were just 9 and 10 years old... and now they're young MEN. (Big SIGH) smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...