Hi everybody..

I've been searching for an affordable, workable .22 for the Gov't stimulus stash box and happily I just obtained a <VERY NICE> Marlin model 99 rifle today, and I have a few questions.

Never had one of these particular guns. (I DID have a model 39 Mountie way back when, and it was just AWESOME!)

This one is very very clean, about 95+% on the blueing, and only a small amount of normal wear and tear on the walnut stock.

Now this is the ORIGINAL model 99, no letters after, actually no serial # either, as this pre-dates the requirement. The barrel is marked "Marlin model 99 Automatic". Tube feeder, 22 or 22-1/2" barrel, pretty damn nice walnut stock, and a vintage 4x scope on top.

The Marlin website doesn't have anything useful on this 50 yr old squirrel asassinator, and about all I've been able to find is this was made from 1959-1961 and then evolved into the model 60 with the addition of a grooved receiver for easier scope mounting, and Marlin changed from real walnut stock to cheaper to produce beech or birch stock with dark stain...eeeewwww!!!

My questions basically are: is the take-down & disassembly the same as on the model 60? Anyone out there had or now has one of these? Did you like it? Is it as accurate as I think it might be? (The barrel seems to be a bit heavier/larger diameter than most seen in today's rifles.) Reliability? Does it prefer normal hi-velocity ammo or would it bother it any to use something like Quik-Shock, Velocitors or the Aguila super-hyper-goshdarn-fast stuff with just a hair under 200 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle?

I think I got a nice one, and welcome your input!! smile

COW_54

3 ammo cans filled...go figure!

Last edited by COW_54; 03/22/09.