Originally Posted by safariman
A rifleman who practices with his hunting rifle and varmint rifles during the offseason can make shots on elk at 450 or so yards and I have done it a couple of times. At that range, I like my 300 and 338 magnums, but to be truthful, I have never tried an Elk at that riange with anything but one of these. I feel more confident with my fast 30's and 33's and my experiences in Africa thell me there is a real world difference in killing power but Elk really are not all THAT big and a whole lotta Elk have been converted to bite sized chunks by the 30/06. With an '06 loaded with the Barnes 168 TTSX, a known range, an unsuspecting elk and a good rest I would pull the trigger at 450.... but i would still RATHER have a big 300 or fast 33. Clear as mud, right? smile

I have taken Elk with the 30-06, 300 Weatherby, 338 Win and the 338 Lapua. The 30-06 has put Elk on the ground as fast as any of ther other calibers for me and I have complete confidence in the 30-065 with a proper bullet to take Elk at or beyound 500 yards.

The 30-06 just flat out works

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first