Still tuned in.

I have been using my 375 RUM these past few weeks. I really need to get out my Chrony. I am trying to load it down to have "fun" with it. Still getting sticky bolt lift at times, most of the time. Just the last 1/8th of the cam to unlock the bolt.

In my mind, if I am getting sticky bolt lift, I must be up there in FPS.

There is a big difference in recoil launching a 260 Accubond at 2980 fps and 2670. I am pretty certain I am over 2900 with a 9.0 lb rifle. The book specs on the 375 RUM (depending on which data set-Hodgdon is about 2850, Nosler is almost 3100) vary quite a bit. I cannot fathom hitting 3100 if I am only at 2875ish.

And this is off the bench. Not something I am burning 20 rounds a session in, but 6-10. At times it's tough to focus(at times literally) and not flinch.

Part of the struggle on the choice is the platform of the LH Ruger 375. Looks nice to me, and is probably very functional for it's intended use.

It's tough not to hop in it right now or right away, because with lefties, it's feast or famine. There may be a ton of LH Africans next year just sitting on shelves 'cause no one wants something that big, or.....they may all dry up very quickly.

With the minimal finances, I may only get one good rifle a year. And I will have 3/4 of the cash on hand.

But I think I am coming to terms with reality. I will never get close to what I have in the custom 375 RUM with a bedded McM Supergrage, fluted barrel, all work done by Borden. It would take me getting the right Dr or rich dude to give me $1500 for it, and I would still be taking a decent loss.

Can get the rebarrel project ordered, installed and completed as it is right now. And have cash left over to either put towards a new scope or get M1s and BC installed in older one.

So I think I am getting ready to buy a barrel and go down that road.

I hate being sensible, as it's a true passion. But the 338 just makes sense. I will never do a Brown bear hunt due to cost. I still crave Trigger Time. I would rather burn the $15,000 on doing Africa 2X and filling an ark with neaty-coolies and whack 10-16 critters than just 1.

And the 338 will do everything I need. Will always have the 375 RUM in the stable should I need some extra horsepower.

And in reality, I use Uncle Sam as a savings account and get several thousand back each February (don't counsel me on the ideology of income tax-I cannot save it on my own). And if I still need one that bad 9 months, I will buy one.

I'll keep someone posted. It may be a while til it's all COMPLETELY finished, but I love the factory Win 70 Classic stock, and there are some of those at Numrich. So I may get a 26" tubed 338 with some type of metal coating, and have it bedded in a plain Jane wood stock, but believe me, if I draw a Gila bull tag, it's gonna get used in the next few months.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 05/01/09.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....