After many years of training and shooting USMC M14s and M40s using a leather sling, I'm fairly particular myself. But, absent a custom rifle stock that is modified to shoot under heavy sling tension, most light weight rifles are worthy of nothing more than using a hasty sling when you have little time to establish a more solid shooting position. Pushing the envelope of your skill and rifle on longer range shots, you'd be better served shooting over your pack or over a good rest w/out the aid of a sling.

As to the slings themselves, I have several of each and my average weights are as such:

The Brownells Latigo runs around 8ounces with QD swivels. The Super Sling is near as heavy and weighs just under 8ounces w/ QD swivels. The 1" stitched Montana is lighter and weighs just over 6ounces w/ QD swivels. The Mountain sling is not much lighter and weighs just around 4ounces but w/out swivels. It may actually be heavier than the 1" stitched Montana when you add the swivels. I have a light one-piece home made 1" nylon sling with a Delrin slider for adjustment used on a fixed swivel stock which IIRC weighs no more than a few ounces, but it is crude and of little value other than as a carry strap.

You can always swipe a skim coat of Aqua-Seal over the surface of the sling where you need some bite. It self-levels, is flexible, and stays put. I have some applied to a nylon sling that has stayed in place for several years.

My choice for the best material is leather as no synthetic works as well for carry and no synthetic works as well when using the sling as a shooting aid. My choice for the best of the lighter leather slings is the 1" stitched Montana. Best overall functioning would probably be the heavier Brownell's Latigo. But, I do use the Mountain sling on two light rifles with fixed swivels, and I do use the Super Sling on a couple of rifles. Each one has good and bad points, but they all can be made to work exceedingly well.

Best

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood