The plan was for my son to shoot a black bear over bait this spring. He tried. He really tried. But, at 13 years old and having a "Y" chromosome, he just does not have the patience to sit in a ladder stand for very long. And. summer soccer has started.

My daughter asks if she can shoot a bear. Skeptically, I says sure. She has had little interest in CF anything since she got punched by a 12 ga. shooting clay at a friend's house a few years ago. She's hell with 22 RF though!

Her first game animal was a grouse last fall - her first killin'. But, who am I to discourage a kids new-found passion! wink

Out to the bait we go. Four days of getting home at 1 AM. Last night with a bear in the truck.

Obligated to get a far-back shot!
[Linked Image]

I think she's happy!
[Linked Image]

Crappy old .308 Win in a youth-stocked Sucks 700 shooting factory Federal 150 grain boolits.
[Linked Image]

Happy Dad too.
[Linked Image]

Trussed up into a sled and ready to be dragged half mile to the crummy.
[Linked Image]

Wouldn't take any help. She told me afterward, " It was hard, but I liked it"
[Linked Image]

Armed guard services provided by bearhunter (seemed appropriate) and a .416 Taylor.
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Ironbender/Kendra%20Black%20Bear/KendrablackBear0171.jpg[/img]

That was reassuring after seeing the brown bear poop the size of a basketball about 25 feet from the bait barrel.

Unstretched, but no slack, the bear measured 5'1". Pretty happy for her first bear and she's already looking forward to next spring!

Last edited by ironbender; 06/16/09.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender