We have tried many bullets in 223 for caribou. I worked on the .223 for a few years as my wife used this caliber when we lived in the Baffin. In a fast twist RWS makes a 74 grain Cone Point that's brilliant. Very nice blend of expansion and penetration and it works well at longer ranges too. This was my my favourite game bullet in 223.

In a slower twist barrels we find the 60 grain Nosler partition makes wider wound channels than the Barnes X Bullets. It penetrates a bit less but still normally exits on side shots of 300-350 pound caribou. The 64 grain Win PP is very good as well, and cheaper. It's a good 1 bullet choice if you can get them to shoot well in your rifle. I used the 53 X on a few caribou and found the wound channels a bit narrow for my liking. They did however out penetrate all other bullets even the 74 RWS!

We started our adventure in .223 using the 60 Hornady, 63 Sierras and 70 Speers and they all work but are a bit too frangible at close range. The Hornady is likely the best of the three. Now that the 60 Nosler Partition is on the market these cup and cores are no longer what should be used IMO. 223 is marginal at the best of times and the best bullet available is what is needed.

As for killing power, up to 150 yards with good bullets the .223 is pretty good. When ranges get longer than this I found the wound channels and killing effect get marginal fast. When down to energy levels in the 22 Hornet range it's time to pass up the shot. For this reason my wife switched to a Rem 600 in 6mm and it's a lot more rifle for deer size game, especially at 200+ yards.

Last edited by Takujualuk; 07/11/09.