I'd have to say that these two rounds are too close to the same to own one of each (in a bolt action rifle). The .338/06 has a sligt edge in performance, but the .338 Fed. is available in factory ammo and is VERY close in ballistics.

The exception to the "not enough difference" would be if you planned to chamber the .338 Fed. in a rifle type that was too short to handle the .338/06. Examples would be the Savage 99 or Remington 742 (longer cartidges don't work so reliably in the Remington semi-autos.....even if the factory did chamber them that way).

Some may argue for the short-vs-long action bolt rifles, but to me the 1/4 pound in weight and 1/4 inch in bolt throw advantage (in a short action) isn't worth the effort.

Of course, don't let logic detirmine what rifles you own. I have rifles in .270, 7x57, .280, 7mm Magnum, .308, and .30-06......and I can't explain why I felt the need for any one over the other except in very special circumstances. Oh, I can make an argument for every one of them, cause that's what Rifle Looneys do......but in the real world they all do basically the same job.

What does NEED have to do with buying guns anyway!!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know