Originally Posted by Oldtrader3
I actually have a scar on my left shoulder from accidentaly shooting at a steel backhoe blade that was covered by Kudzu in a gravel pit. I fired a 152 gr, 7.62 Nato FMJ from a .308 Winchester into the gravel pit and hit the blade about 20-25 yards away.

The core of the bullet ricocheted and penetrated my shoulder about three inches. The deformed bullet core was stopped by my upper arm bone. I noticed smoke coming from a .30 caliber hole in my shirt, plus, my shoulder felt a burning sensation and blood was dripping off my fingertips. A sign that all was not well!

Since I had been a Corpsman in the Army Infantry, I always carry a Army Field Surgical Kit in my car when shooting. I took a hemostat and removed the bullet and put a dressing on the wound.

Anyhow a lesson learned, the moral of this story is: don't shoot at hardened steel with high velocity, FMJ, centerfire-rifle ammunition, period!

Having the tools and presence of mind does keep enquiring minds from wanting to know. Gun shot wounds of any kind must be reported to the police in Canada. I take stapler in the bush in case of significant laceration or penetrating injury. Not admitting personal foolishness...priceless.

Randy

PS thanks for your service as a corpsman.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff