Kutter,

Living in the south you need to be careful shooting alot of rounds out of any magnum during the summer heat.

I have a 7 WSM and in Aug./July Temps I could shoot a 3 round group of "1 or so. It always was the 3rd shot that opened the group up.

When I would wait 10 min. or so, I could lay that 3rd one right on top of the other 2, decreasing the group size to the 4.'s & .5's.

If you want a cold bore zero, shoot your first shot carefully, make your adjustments and wait 20 min. Take the bolt out and lean the gun upright to let the barrel cool.

Fire the next shot, make any adjustments and let the Bbl. cool again for 20 min.

Save your last target after you have it where you want it. Bring this target back to your next range session and shoot it with your first cold bore shot to make sure the POI is the same.

I always make sure I have cleaned my barrel on the previous trip and fired at least 2 rounds thru it at the end of the range session so next time I go to shoot, I won't be working with a clean cold bore, which can give you different POI's. I always have 2 foulers thru there before doing any serious shooting or hunting.

Hope this helps,

JM.

Last edited by JohnMoses; 09/11/09. Reason: spelling