Originally Posted by exbiologist
The only way to calculate your position on a map with decimal degrees or degrees, minutes, seconds are with special rulers that few hunters own, nor know how to use, unless they were in the military.

Not really. One easy way to get around this is to buy the National Geographic TOPO software for your state (about $100 per state last time I checked) and print your own customized maps. Saves a lot of money if you use a lot of different maps.

You can print your own customized maps with grid lines right on the map, either UTM or degrees, minutes, and decimals of minutes. I use degrees/minutes/decimals because that's what I've always used and my brain is calibrated that way. I can pick any spot on these maps and quickly give you accurate coordinates without a ruler, it's very easy.

The other advantage of printing your own maps is that you can center them where you want and cover just the area you're interested in with an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet, and you can turn over the paper and print another map on the other side--no more carrying multiple maps because the area you're interested in is on the edge. You can print on waterproof stock too, another advantage over conventional maps.

A wise man is frequently humbled.