VarmintGuy� I have a Kimber Varmint in .204 Ruger that shoots little tiny holes besides looking great in walnut. Since most of what I shoot is gophers, a 204 is just not necessary. It heats up too quickly and requires a muzzle brake to see the hits. I have a .221 Fireball and thought that it would be better in 20 caliber. The VarTarg is a great caliber for gophers, and as I discovered this summer, a great caliber for prairie dogs, too. It takes longer to heat up and hits much harder than my Hornets. The distances I shoot both these animals are usually less than 300 yards so a long tube is just not necessary. I get over 3800 fps with my VarTarg shooting a 32-grain V-Max. I got the idea of a short but heavy barrel from Kimber�s SVT (223 Rem). It has a straight non-tapered barrel of 18�. It shoots tiny bug holes all day. It is a heavy rifle, but is not nose heavy, thus easier to use from a quad or sticks. I did not want a barrel that measures 1.125� at the muzzle like the SVT, so I asked for a straight taper down to .75� on a 22� barrel. My shooting buddy put a 24� tube on his VarTarg and his averages about 25 fps slower than mine with the same load. I don�t feel I give up much, if anything.

I suggest that you take one of those 204s you have (I bet you have more than one) and rechamber it to the VarTarg. You will not regret it.
Happy shooting!

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan