Originally Posted by Lee24
I have a 20-inch BLR in 7mm-08 and an 20-inch Model 70 Compact in 7mm-08. I prefer more weight and less muzzle blast than barrels shorter than 20 inches have. Velocity loss in the 7mm-08 is not much, so going to a 21 or 22 inch barrel should be all about balance and feel for you, not 50 fps.

As stated, the 139-140 grain bullets are the norm. 150s and 154s will start to lose steam with the smaller case and shorter barrels. 160-gr is really in the domain of the .280 Rem, .284 Win and 7x64mm.

For flat shooting to 300 yards, go to the 120-gr BT or TSX.

It is hard to find a Steyr that won't shoot well, and like the Tikka T3, they aren't picky about various loads.

I'm not sure I understand this one Lee24. I have a 20" Barrelled carbine on a Mark V Weatherby in 7mm-08. Great little round and also read Metcalf article on velocity loss. It was an eye opener. Now I can understand why you lose more velocity out of say a '06 length or long mag case as you have powder that has not burned down the shorter tube. But on a case such as the '08 case you have efficency in burn rate which gives you little velocity loss prior to exiting the barrel.

Your comment states that as you get into the heavier bullets, you lose more steam. Wether the bullets is 120 grs or 154 grs isn't velocity lose going to be the same percentage?

I hunt thick woods up in Maine and actually trying out a load in the carbine with a Hornady 154 gr round nose. Should be the Cat's butt on large whitetails in close cover. I've used Hornady RN bullets in a variety of calibers and believe it or not they are pretty darn accurate and over pretty quick expansion. This will also be compared with some 120 and 140 loads I'm working up to see what shoots best but if the shot is going to max out at say 150-200yds this bullet in either RN or SP could be a very good choice out of the carbine version of a 7mm-08