I enjoyed Jamison's writing, though his more technical stuff sailed above my right-brained head. Don't have ANY of the facts about why he's no longer around the writing game.

It's kind of odd some folks here, a purportedly conservative bunch, think he should have simply "shared the wealth" with the firearms industry.

Seems to me, the difference between Jamison and many others who run out and cry "Eureka!" "It's Alive!" or "Looky What I Done" is that he patented his idea and, possibly, has profited.

Consider Elmer Keith, who worked for decades on load development and wrote endlessly on the subject of heavily loaded .44 Specials. He lobbied gun and ammo makers to just go ahead and load the thing and manufacture handguns strong enough to handle it. Yes, I know other folks were working parallel tracks.

But how much did Elmer ever receive in cash, goods or services for being the "father of the .44 Magnum"? Probably a few N-Frames, a few cases of ammo, etc. But did he receive a royalty?

Speaking of Keith, in his 1955 work "Sixguns" on page 105 he extolled the virtues of a particular kind of sight for fast target acquisition and aerial shooting.

On page 107 that sight is illustrated by son Ted, along with a number of other sights.

"One variety...is the wide angle English V rear sight with a platinum center line, and not over a 20-degree angle to the sides of the V...This ...sight is fast with either a post or bead front sight...tipped with red or gold."

Fast forward 40 years and a company was begun by a Texas law enforcement officer making just those type of sights except with white beads and center stripes of white. Got some on my own fighting guns. But Keith was never mentioned as an inspiration.

Ironically, that enterprising cop was later aced by the money guys at his company and now pens a few articles a year for...a gun mag.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]