This was moved down from the 'Ask The Gunwriters' section in hopes of getting more detailed responses...

I have a new-to-me Yugo 24/47 in 8mm mauser. The rifle is in excellent condition with matching numbers. I also have a couple hundred rounds of 7mm mauser standard pressure factory loads. A few questions...

Is is safe to shoot the 7mm mauser rounds in the 8mm mauser rifle to obtain 8mm mauser reloadable brass? If it is safe, is it likely to cause a lot of copper fouling in the rifle?

If it is not safe, can I pull the 7mm bullet and leave the factory charge and use some type of plug in the neck case to create enough back pressure to fireform the case? What should I use for the plug?

----------------- Continued ----------------------------

Perhaps someone will respond to help me further my education on this subject...

My understanding is that when a beltless and rimless case with a shoulder that is too short for the chamber is fired, the case drives forward from the blow of the firing pin, ignition occurs, the case expands to the chamber walls while temporarily sticking to the them and the case then begins to elongate backwards toward the bolt face. This can be a primary cause of case head separation when the tolerances are too great.

If this is true then what would happen in the following scenario with a 7x57 in a 8x57 chamber? You are using a CRF bolt that captures the case with very little slop. You fire a case that has practically the same dimensions except the shoulder is about 0.01" short. Wouldn't the case flow forward primarily in the shoulder and neck area because the rim is captured by the CRF bolt?

Thanks for your time in dicussing this.

<>< Brian

<>< Brian