Here's an article that I wrote to explain how the application process works in Colorado.

Applications have to be received in early April. I usually mail my applications sooner. You can apply for up to four choices but I usually only indicate a first choice and a second choice. You can even apply for a preference point as your first choice. If you do no get your first choice, you get a preference point. You can accumulate only one point per species per year. You have to pay the license fee when you submit your application for the draw. But if you are unsuccessful, all but $3 is returned along with your preference point notification. If you are successful in receiving a tag for your second choice, but not your first choice, you get a preference point (for your unsuccessful first choice) and a tag (for your second choice). When you submit your application, you include the number of preference points that you have. People with the most points draw first.

There are about +/-200 game management units in Colorado, which are essentially the same for deer/elk/antelope/bear. In 2009 the dates will be as follows;
- Archery Season: August 29 - September 27
- Muzzle Loading Season: September 12 � 20
- 1st Rifle Season (Elk only): October 10-14
- 2nd Rifle Season (Deer/Elk/Black bear): October 17-25
- 3rd Rifle Season (Deer/Elk/Black bear): October 31 - November 6
- 4th Rifle Season (Deer/Elk/Black Bear): November 11-15

Antlerless elk tags are issued through the drawing, except for a few game management units in the north-central part of the state, where they are available over-the-counter at most sporting goods stores. Bull elk tags can be purchased over-the-counter for about 3/4 of the game management units west of I25. For the most part, in those same units, there are more antlerless (cow) tags offered than are applied for and there are "leftover" tags available after the drawing that can be purchased at any Division of Wildlife (DOW) office, on a first come first served basis, and you can legally purchase both a cow elk tag and a bull elk tag. Most units require a bull elk to have at least 4 points on one antler but most people hold out for a 5x5 bull. In the remaining units, bull elk are managed for trophy potential. Most of those units require several preference points to draw a bull elk tag and some require as many as 14 points. Each year I apply for a preference point as my first choice elk application, and a cow tag as my second choice. Then I buy an over-the-counter bull tag. So I get a preference point for elk, a bull elk tag and a cow elk tag, each year. This is legal in many units where the elk populations are above management objectives.

All deer tags are issued by drawing only. Deer season dates in units west of I25 coincide with the elk seasons. In units east of I25, there is a separate early plains deer season (October 22 - November 1, 2005) and a separate late plains deer season (December 1 - 14, 2005). Deer populations are beginning to rebound and antlerless deer tags are being offered in a few game management units. There are even a few leftover tags available. In some units deer tags are very abundant. But these units are primarily where chronic wasting disease has been detected.

In many units, archery black bear tags are unlimited. In some game management units, black bear tags are issued by drawing only, including the archery season. There are many units where rifle black bears tags are issued for the month of September and those tags are issued by drawing only. In most units, black bear tags are sold over-the-counter for the same seasons as the deer/elk seasons. There is no spring bear season. You cannot use dogs or bait to hunt bears and traps must have padded jaws.

All antelope tags are issued by the drawing only. In most units, at least a couple of points are required to draw a tag. Many units require a lot more points. Antelope season will be October 1 � 7, 2005.

Mountain Goats, Rocky Mountain Bighorns, Desert Bighorns, Moose and Cougar have separate game management units and separate seasons for each species.

Cougar tags are issued at the DOW offices, only in certain management units. You have to report your kills to that office and when the quota for a unit is filled, hunting is closed in that unit. Most quotas are never met. Cougars can be hunted with hounds and most lion hunters hire an outfitter with dogs.

Tags for goats and big horns are issued only through the draw. You must accumulate three preference points to get into the draw. Then you get a weighted preference point for each year that you are unsuccessful. When you apply, you get one chance for each weighted preference point. On average, it takes about 8 years to get a tag. But it's possible to get a tag on your fourth try (3 points + 1 weighted point). If you get a tag, you have to wait five years to start the process again.

The drawing for moose works the same as goats and bighorns except you only get one tag in your lifetime.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.