Remember when the "Big-3" put reasonably powered, reliable diesel engines in their pickups? O.K., maybe I shouldn't lump the GM 6.2L in the reliable category, but I've seen enough of them go the 300,000 mark, to know their poor reputation isn't entirely deserved.

Remember when diesel pickup owners used to brag about mileage, not about insane levels of power? 18-22 mpg used to be feasible with these!

Remember when diesel pickups were reliable? This seems to have gone away, but I think power chips, windmill sized turbos, and the HP race caused this, to some degree.

I just put a reman injection pump on a friends 84 F-250. I was thinking to myself, " I just rebuilt this a few years back, damn low sulphur fuel!" It was in 1997, and over 240K ago! the truck has over 400, 000 on the original engine, and hasn't ever seen a kind hand. Just fix what's broke!
I tried to talk my buddy out of replaceing the pump and nozzles the first time, because this truck was in such bad shape, and now it's even worse!
See alot of farmers with the older diesels, getting insane ammounts of miles on them, mostly all stock.

Basically, I'm just ranting, but do you think we'll ever see a diesel powered pickup introduced with the original intent in mind? To produce reasonable power, enhanced durability, and increased mileage?

Andy

Andy