Originally Posted by biglmbass
Great read, Dan. Thanks for taking the time to post and explain your thought process and fondness for CBs.

I'm curious to know how long your Contender Carbine barrel is? I long ago had a 21" sporter weight 7-30 Waters, but balance was terrible and it went down the road. I keep telling myself I need another carbine length barrel but have yet to find a deal that speaks to me.

20" for the .22 barrel, and 22" for the .30-30, both sporter contours. I've a couple of observations about the T/C carbine: Ugly and not terribly conducive to offhand shooting. Very light and sufficiently accurate for any demand I'd place on the respective cartridges. I rarely shoot it in the field without resting it against a tree, but since I still hunt mostly, there always seems to be one handy when I pause to observe. I have made a few offhand shots but don't care to do so if it can be avoided. Always thought a bull contour would address the balance issue you mention and the package is so short that 26" of barrel for CF cartridges won't hurt either. Hindsight is 20/20, no?

The .30-30 barrel chamber was cut to larger than normal dimensions and is problematic for reloading although I've done that with neck sizing only. Call it an 'Almost Ackley Improved'. T/C customer service was not helpful in finding remedy.

It is an effective tool and little more. Given different circumstances I'd favor other rifles after all is considered. I've got an old .25-20 lever gun that makes me hope for an invasion of ostriches. laugh Then there's the Rigby. Anyone know if Jurassic Park has reopened?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain