Sakoluvr: I am a "dyed in the wool" bolt action kind of guy and much prefer them for most of my Rifles and uses.
I do have some exceptions - I have a small fleet of Ruger 10/22's and I have 3 (three) Marlin lever action Model 39's.
I have also owned several more of these in the past.
I really enjoy "levering" the 22 L.R.'s at pest's, Varmints and targets of all kinds!
Last year I just had a ball at a remote location with a big sandy hill as a backdrop shooting pop cans at 30 to 60 yards with one of my 39-A's (open sights)!
And I did re-bag the shot-up cans and took them away with me!
I though am NOT familiar enough to know which years are superior (IF any!) over others for performance (accuracy) or for collectability (value!) of the Marlins!
I do know this, the Marlin lever action 22's are STRONG performers when it comes to resale and retaining value at gunshops and gunshows!
I say shop dilligently and carefully seek out the best deal possible and once a Marlin 39 is in your possession and LATER if you decide to move on - that Rifle will re-sell quickly and without loosing much if anything at all price wise.
Good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I just checked my "Blue Book of Gun Values" and my Marlin 39-M (takedown carbine survival pack type gun!) is worth MORE now than when its MSRP was last published!
Yep, buy a Marlin 39 and start having fun for "free"!