Originally Posted by Whelen_B
Also FYI some have warned against the EER varibles in favor of no more than around a 2x or 2.5x fixed EER. Reports suggest that FOV becomes seriously restricted for hunting at higher magnifications with EERs. Just reporting what others have said as I have yet to use the quarter rib over the barrel.

Yes the FOV is smaller but in my still short experience with a scout setup (BLR in 308) that is more than compensated for by how much quicker I can get the crosshairs on target. I normally use the Burris 2.75X20 but am experimenting with a variable power (NcStar 2-7X32). Once I figured out the hold over from a 100 yd zero I was hitting minute of dinner plate -- a 12" circle -- at 500 yards from prone position with a sandbag at 7X magnification. Won't win me any awards but I thought it was pretty good from my half-century-and-a-bit old eyes.

No argument that the higher power should only be used at long range on stationary targets. However, that's pretty much how I use any scoped rifle.

It took some practice to get used to the forward mounted scope and, for me, it was worth every minute. I have the right-hand/left-eye problem but when I line up the scout scope my brain automatically picks the magnified image as the correct one. For some reason this does not happen with a conventional scope or holosight and I have to force the perceptual shift.

The forward mounted scope is not for everyone or every purpose. I have two bolt guns with conventional 3-9X optics that are not going away. Nor am I considering a scout scope on my L1A1 EBR. Nevertheless, for me the scout setup works very well as a general purpose rifle. If I had to Get Out Of Dodge and could only take one centerfire rifle, my BLR scout would almost certainly be it.