BLACKEYEDDUELER:
I'm a bit late on this, but hope it helps. It's less than an Alaskan Bear/Goat trip or just a bit more than a trophy Elk hunt based on my shopping. Without airfare, I booked my first African hunt (next April/May) for $5000 (plus tips, trophy taxidermy and return shipping). Several firms offer packages like that, as this thread reveals. My upcoming trip was in that range for 6 trophy animals, ten days. Animals include Greater Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Black Wildebeest, Springbok and Warthog.

TRAVEL AGENT? I guess it is a good idea, though I didn't use one. I used DELTA.COM back in September. I found airfare for about $1500 coach (Ft Lauderdale - Atlanta - Johannesberg) but that can change drastically based on dates next year. First/Business Class can bump airfare a whole lot! I am not connecting to another flight in South Africa, the hunter will pick me up at Joberg and return me there. We'll drive to Limpopo and then to another locale in Free State before the trip is over. I am going based on a friends recent experience with this PH. To quote the PH, "You'll not need another cent from the time I pick you up until I drop you back at the airport...", but I figure tipping might be "proper" if things are "properly" done...

I could have cut the price by reducing the take or the days, but the airfare is a big chunk and, like you, there are reasons this may be my only trip. Also, it's a long flight.

The reference I have says it's not "canned" in his opinion, there was a lot of game available, facilities were nice but not the Ritz. (Better than any Deer/Elk camp he'd ever seen though...) Food and drink was all supplied and very good and plentiful. Services at the lodges/camps were more than adequate. Equipment (hunt cars etc) all late model and in good order. PH was interested in providing a good experience and knowledgeable. Trackers and skinners were talented enough to find and prepare all his animals. They hunted a waterhole, and glassed and stalked. Yes there were fences, but he said it was not common to see them, and he never felt it was not "fair chase" hunting.

I think a trip that included Namibia or Botswana might have been more exciting, but this works for my budget and time frames. RSA is probably a lot less "wild" than those places, but I'm taking advice from several sources to make it my first (and possibly last) African hunt destination.

Good luck finding your hunt! PM me if you want any more details - like the web site of the PH. I'm not in the business and I figure there's plenty of references in this thread from those in the biz, and from those who have been on a trip to keep you busy! Advice from someone who's been, not just "going", would be a lot more valid - that's what I based my plans on! I'm sure any others who have mentioned upcoming plans wouldn't mind a PM if you have an interest. Especially the Pros!

Just one thing, it'll never be cheaper, and you'll never get there if you wait for everything to be easy or perfect. Go ahead and plan it, research it and book it. That's half the fun! Good Luck!!

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"