Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
I got a 7-08 with the ventilated Boss right after they came out, which I sighted in while wearing hearing protection. No problem. Then I used it in Wyoming for Mule Deer. I took a shot at about 165 yds and no hearing protection. It was really loud, and my ears rang for about a day.

I contacted Browning and told them that they should warn their customers about the very loud noise blast. They told me that I could buy a non-ventilated device that would not cause hearing damage. I told them I did not plan to pay for something that they should have warned their customers about ahead of time. They sent the non-ventilated device without charge. It works pretty well. But the ventilated device is pure trouble.

And hell, I did not hear that well to begin with.
I had to laugh a little bit at the above in shared misery. I acquired a browning bar in .270 with the boss system, and ported. Shot it at the range with muffs on and highly impressed took it deer hunting. Saw a deer, fired, and thought i had lost my hearing. The port came off, the non ported option went on, and perfectly happy with the rifle except for two things.
It is heavy.
and I don't like carrying a loaded round in the chamber, and you do have to let that bolt slam shut in my opinion for positive lockup. But it is quite accurate.

Steve

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO