For my rifle I would say I was close to maximum, Barnes says 69 gr is max, they got 3303 fps with max load. When I worked up this load I used a different method than I ususally do when I work up loads. Nosler recomends this method, I took some factory winchester 140 gr power point rounds and pulled the bullets and discarded the powder and primers. I then replaced the primers, powder and bullets, and worked up the load starting with the starting load, I fired a factory round first, then I fired all the rounds that I had worked up in 1/2 grain increments, after I fired the 68 gr load I fired one more factory round. I went home and measured all the rounds on the belt, the 68 gr load expanded .0002 less than the factory loads. I measured all the rounds before I fired them, they all measured the same. Nosler swears by this method however you need some factory rounds on hand and we both know that factory stuff is very expensive. Barnes say to work up the loads and stop and back off a grain if expansion on the belt reaches .001. You have to remember that not all rifles are alike, a safe load in your rifle may not be safe in someone else rifle and vice versa.