Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by CLB

P.S. I think you have BobinNH salivating right now. whistle

Heehee! That's funny!Well,see Dave has hunted Alberta with Russ Thornberry so understands that when they stick you on those fields,those rutting Alberta whitetails show without warning,are always on the move and don't stop in those fields unless a hot doe is holding them;they are always going from "here to there",and by the time you laze them, the distance has already changed,and this can be from 50 yards to as far as you can hit......time is of the essence;those bucks don't dilly-dally and neither should you.....ditto a lot of the larger mule deer that I've killed,which are distinctly different in behaviour from the younger one's that lolly gag in the open...

So I say laze when you can,but when you can't......I'd rather have Dave's machine in my mitts than a slow-poke round showing 18-20" of drop at the 400 yard mark...that rig will have one in him while the Western Extreme crowd is still doping distance...besides,where I hunt,there generally is not a camera crew and 4 observers with the Kestral Wind meters and a fleet of Swaro range finders behind me calling the shots....giving the obligatory "SEND IT" command....

To 500 yards and under(the distances most stuff is killed unless you deliberately put yourself further out,a practice common on TV or when peddling Hawkemyer Scopes)I can't think of anything better than what Dave has built,and few things as good.I also doubt that outfit is gonna contribute to a bull elk's life span grin

Like my buddy RinB says..."Trophy hunting is different...."

Nice goin',Dave! Great outfit! wink

Great write up about Alberta Bob.That should be required reading for anyone thats thinking about spending the money and time, going there for a deer hunt.
Not hard to see how I've been influenced buy the trips that I've taken there.Time constraints are a large part of the kind of hunting around the house here to.The difference between here,Pa and Alberta,is that here in Pa.The deer are mostly running for there lives.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

time is of the essence;those bucks don't dilly-dally and neither should you....

Truer words were never spoken.
The first year I hunted with Thornberry was 1985.I was young dumb and full of cumm.I learned alot from him.I learned how not to get myself permanently damaged when its 35 degrees below zero.And your only hope of getting a deer is to go out and sit in it all day.He was a smart operator and did what he could for his clients.
He had a longrange rifle outfit even back then.It was one of the first custom rifles I ever got a look at.At the time I was running a factory M700 in what else a 270 WCF.
He had a 7mm/300 Weathbery built by Howard Wolf of Williamsport Pa.I dont remember all the details but it had a synthetic stock with a camo paint job.M700 action.Muzzle break and a fixed 20/24x Leupold.It was not a light weight.Im thinking it went 12 to 14 pounds.He also had big tripod mounted 56mm zeiss binos.And a very rare model 1917 Bausch & Lomb optical rangefinder.
This was 1985....
I got to tell you.I was like a kid in a candy store....
He told me it was for yotes and that his best shot on a yote was 1500 yards.
I asked him if he had ever used it for deer and he said he had, but that it was pretty limited.He didnt like it becaues it was to cumbersome.
His caliber,that he would recommend to anyone one that would listen,was a 25-06 with a 100g Partition.Hard hitting,flat shooting,low recoil.
Bob,your buddy RinB is right.Trophy hunting is different.
dave smile

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.