I'd like to share some of my experiences with these scopes, and get your input too.

Most of the scopes I own or have owned fall into this ($100-$200) category.

The other day I took rifles to the range that wore the following scopes.

Weaver 3x9x38 Classic paid $129
Swift 3x9x40 $119
Leupold Vari X 2 3x9x40 $199
Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 $99

I have owned these scope for several years. I'll rate them in several categories

Optical Clarity/Quality (On 9 power i was reading the smaller words on a real estate sign at about 200 yards): Weaver, Swift, Leupold, Bushnell (the first two were much better than the second two)

Precision adjustments (do they do what they are supposed to): Weaver, Leupold, Swift, Bushnell (1st three were close)

Freedom from glare (with sun behind me how much glare was on the lens): Weaver, Leupold, Bushnell, Swift (1st two were good, Bushnell bearable, Swift-annoying glare)

Low light capability (which one would allow me to make out antlers in fading light): Leupold, Weaver, Bushnell, Swift

Warranty: All have lifetime warranties, but Swift can be exchanged across the counter at any Swift dealer.

Other mid priced scopes I have or have used are Redfield Trackers and Simmons Aetecs.

One Simmons Aetec was awesome in all regards, the other one was a good scope, but was a step or two behind in the above performance categories. The Trackers are pretty good, but at the same price as the Weaver, I wouldn't buy another.

I'd have to say that the Weaver classic is my favorite scope. For $70 more, I certainly wouldn't buy another Vari x 2 (or its successor). I got what I paid for with the Bushnell (an OK scope). I can't figure out the glare on the Swift. If I cup my hand around the rear lens to block the light from hitting the lens it is as good as the others in low light/sun behind me situations. It does have the warranty, so I could return it to my local dealer for an exchange.

I know I can get better performance by spending more money, but apparently the $100-$200 segment is very competetive. Leupold has started offering a Rifleman series to compete. Nikon is offering a Pro-Staff. New scopes from Sightron, Winchester, and Hunter are ringing in in the Mid $100's. Burris FF2's and the Bushnell Elite 3200's can be had for under $200 bucks.

In my eyes this price range begins to offer quality scopes, not the disposable package gun quality stuff typically found for 50-60 bucks.

I'm interested in hearing of others experiences with mid- priced scopes.

Paul