At 50, I'm gettting into hunting a little late in life. I've spent a lot of time at the range in my years, but little in the field since my father and grandfather died while I was quite young.
I have the opportunity to do some elk and moose hunting over the next couple of years, and the only centerfire rifles I own are Marlin 336's in 30-30, a Rossi 92 .357mag, and an old left-bolt Savage in 30-06 that I recently purchased- decent condition, cheap.
What are your recommendations on a good mid-bore rifle larger than a 30cal for a lefty? I would love to have a .358, but they are not available in left-hand bolt anything, and are VERY pricey in a Savage 99 (my dream gun but not affordable at present). A friend at the gun club told me to take that old Savage 110CL and have it converted to 338-06. I know that both the 30-30 and 30-06 would work; I have friends up in Canada that use either for elk/moose, but these hunts may be a once/twice in a lifetime thing for me, and I think I want something bigger/stronger. I've always wanted a medium-bore anyway.
BTW, I have recently got into reloading- I don't have any reservations about getting into a lesser-known/distributed cartidge (like the 338-06). I've even considered .348 or .356 since I like leverguns, but they are a little more range/energy limited?