MMan, I don't want to get into a "back and forth" with you, but my mind definitely isn't made up and, with a daughter in college, I certainly don't have money to burn. My initial post was to ask if anyone had successfully built a custom gun at under 6 pounds that had a barrel that was fluted by the barrel manufacturer. It appears not, which is probably the answer to my question.

As I posted, I have a gun that meets my "needs" but not my "wants" which is what I thought this forum on custom guns and wildcats was about, since custom rifles and wildcat calibers seem to generally meet wants more than needs.

If a number of members have had excellent results from having finished barrels fluted, then I guess my gunsmith's opinion is not necessarily valid. As I said above, I don't know. I do know I trust him. I have Kampfeld's site bookmarked, so I guess I should ask him directly. It will be more expensive to have him flute a finished barrel than a maker such as Kreiger flute their own barrel. Again, I don't have money to burn.

The Remington Ti is the action I wish I had, but at a current $2,225 or so retail for a complete rifle plus the cost of an ultralight stock, it's outside my meager means.

This may be the last custom rifle I have built. I know I can restock my current gun or go with a light contour barrel. I didn't know if it could be done on a fluted barrel. Looks like probably not. I do want to end up with a gun that is custom to me. My current Model 7 stainless/synthetic is not far off. A Kimber Montana is probably closer and could probably be bought cheaper after sale of my current gun than a custom could be built. It wouldn't be custom though.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Frank Shaw