As has been said..DON"T use the see through mounts. Put up high a scope becomes a monstrosity and peering under the scope compromises the open sights as well. It's an idea that just doesn't work out in practice. Also I agree that binoculars are what you use to verify game. That being said a low powered scope is faster than open sights if you practice the scope.

I used the scout scope set up for a while. Never worked well for me. I found it no faster than a regular scope set-up and I just never got used to it. Saw no advantage at all and I tried.

Something about the old straight, steel tubed Weavers looks good on the Marlin. My 450 Marlin now wears an El-Paso 3X with post and crosshair. In reserve is the same scope with crosshairs. I like the Weaver 1X, 1.5X and 2.5X as well. They all are in use on various rifles. The 1.5X is a great 44 magnum scope. It's like looking through the window and amazingly fast.

Best new scope in this class(IMO) is the 2.5 Leupold light weight. Mine lives on my 358 Norma and is a good rig. A bit brighter than the Weavers but no tougher and much more expensive. The recoil of the light Norma by the way has trashed every variable I have put on it including Leupold. The Fixed 2.5 is still alive after 300 rounds and counting.

I used the Ashley ghost for a while. Worked well. I am old enough that a scope works even better. 3X is a great combination of field and magnification for big game although 2.5 is about as good and 4X also works. I have shot game to 350 yards at 3X. I have also shot game at 10 yards with 3X. Never felt greatly handicapped in either case.

Last edited by North61; 12/25/09.