I picked up an old Universal for a song, when my eldest (now 30), was 10 years old. He killed his first deer with it that same week, using some handloads I had put together for him. I was sitting at his side with my Colt Sauer 06 for back up, if needed. The little buck walked a few feet and collapsed.

My youngest son borrowed the little carbine from his big brother, and at age 9, he killed 2 deer with it, using some more hand loads.

It has been very reliable for 20 years. I have never shot any groups with it, and it has never been scoped, but I can shoot walnuts out of the tree with boring regularity. At least I could a few years ago. My eyes aren't getting younger, but I could probably still hit a soda can with it at reasonable ranges using those peep sights.

I didn't give much for it. IIRC, I gave $150 for it. It was a Christmas present for my son. He still has it, and it still runs fine.

It wouldn't be worth much to anybody else, but it has given my family a lot of good memories. At the time I got it, I didn't know anything about the different manufacturers, or the history of these little rifles. They are a lot of fun to shoot, and they make a great little gun to use for introducing women and kids to shooting.

My FIL fought in Korea. He lost a lung there. He played dead, lying in a ditch filled with water, while Chinese troops walked around bayoneting his fellow troops who were clinging to life. He got some stagnant water in his lungs that got infected badly. He passed out, and when he came to, the Chinese had gone. He was found the next day, close to death. Although I have read where many soldiers did not like to carry the Carbine, because of the smaller cartridge, he said that he loved using it because of the size and weight. He also told me that he had killed a lot of Chinese and North Koreans with it. He said it would kill a lot better than it was ever given credit for.

I would not use it for deer hunting now. Although it brought 3 deer home for us, I don't think it is adequate for deer, even with good hand loads. The deer we shot were within 25 yards or closer, and I was there with a back up.

The smallest round I use now, is 5.56. I have found it quite adequate at reasonable ranges, but only use it when I hunt my stands with sort range shots.