Did some testing yesterday using my standard 2.5 gallon water jugs. They measure almost 12 inches long, by 6 inches wide and about 10 inches high.
I was disappointed with Hornady's flat point, 230 gr. FMJ. Jeff Cooper used to say that this bullet was the best compromise in the .45 ACP for penetration and tissue disruption. Sure didn't look very impressive at 890 fps. Hardly ruptured anything on the container, just punched through.
The more or less standard 200 gr. lead SWC did noticable better at about 930 fps. Ruptured the sides moderately, and passed all the way through.
The 185 gr. Remington Golden Saber HP did alot better at busting up the jug even though it wasn't going much faster than the 200 gr. SWC. Not nearly as much as the 10mm shooting the 180 gr. Rem GS at about 1200 fps. and not quite as much as the 158 gr. .357 lead SWC at 1100-1200 fps. Passed through the jug quite well.
Next time I test, I'm going to try the 230 Federal Hydra Shok factory load as well as their new 165 gr. Personal Defense load. E