I just recently bought a 6x40 Simmons Pro Hunter Master Series scope. I have not had it long enough for anything other than having a first impression of the unit. It has the quick focus ocular adjustment ring, which so far I like pretty well. I freely admit that I had no real purpose in mind other than I had an opportunity to satisfy my curiosity for not much money.

What initially aroused my curiosity was a review by John Barsness about these scopes. Simmons recently designed a new, supposedly far more durable internal adjustment system. JB spoke pretty well of the Simmons, and they stuck in my mind.

Anyway, my first impression is pretty good. The optics are very decent. They will not match the clarity of the more expensive stuff, but as far as I am concerned, they are clear enough for any shot anybody has any business taking with a 6x scope. What the clarity issues might be with the higher range magnification variables, I can't say.

This scope has a lot more eye relief than a lot of other scopes, about 4". The adjustments track very precisely. It is on a Savage 99 308. So far, I have just sighted in the rifle and shot the box with the scope. So time has yet to tell me the tale, but for $100, I am impressed so far.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"