knowing what i know from years of plains game hunting in africa, my first consideration for this kind of hunting would be a flat shooter. secondly that flat shooter must have the ability to kill any plains game once the bullet reached the animal.

to do this you need nothing more than a 30-06. if you wan to bring along your 9.3. do so. a very popular calibre in africa. just keep in mind that the success with plains game hunting is more often than not the hunters ability to judge distance and then compensate acordingly. in that respect the 9.3 can be a constant challenge.

too often i see so called experts recomending, that you need a lot of gun to kill african plains game. the best one i have seen is where an "expert" told a potential african hunter that for hunting gemsbok he needs at least a 338wm. i will go on record to say that that is nonsense.

i friend of mine shoots many kudu a year for his butchery for the local venison market. he does this with a 270 130 grn shelf ammo.

if i can only bring one gun, my preference would be a 300 mag. if i can bring two i would add the 243win.

then again this can be overcome by spending many a hour on the range practising longer shots.

good hunting over here.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 01/03/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!