That x57 case has several direct corallaries with cartridges based on the .308 case.....6mm Remington/.243 winchester,6.5x57/.260 Remington,7x57/7mm08,9x57/.358 Winchester.There are also cartridges which kind of bracket each other as in 8x57(.323)/.308 Wichester(.308)/.338 Federal,and as you can see by the chart 9x57/.358 Winchester/9.3x57.The .257 Roberts is also based on the x57 case.
Depending on the specific action and OAL with a specific bullet the x57 cartridges may work in some short action receivers,though historically they have been chambered in long actions ,especially with heavier and therefore longer bullets.
I've found that I can generally squeeze just a bit more performance out of the x57 case than out of the .308 case,everything else being equal.From a strictly practical point of view either cartridge throwing the same bullet are ballistic equals.
If brass is a problem,a fairly knowledgeable handloader can make any of them from 30.06,.270,.280 etc.
My experience has been that I generally get the best performance out of the various x57 (also often called Mauser) cartridges with the heavier bullets for caliber.
The 9x57 is about the only one I don't personally own,but used to hunt with a fellow who had two of them.He loaded both of his with .358 bullets and had very satisfactory results on deer and black bear.He used to shoot the heavier .357 magnum bullets,which he bought comparitively inexpensively in bulk, for practice.