We have a few people in the area who are not far from it and more who are capable. Many of us live in circumstances which would be called "rustic" although we are now saddled with all those modern convenienbces like a telephone, computer, and electricity to run it. I often long for the days when we were "off the grid" (up until 1997). It was really peaceful.
When I lived up in the North Thompson country, we knew a bunch of these types. Some were older, long time, trappers and ranchers; others were younger, hippie types who were moving "back to the land". Hippies or not, some of these were pretty self sufficient kids and very capable.
When I was in elementary school, we had a substitute teacher who, along with her husband, spent every summer prospecting and panning gold in the area upriver from Taylor B.C. (where we lived at the time) and, if they found good color, would spend the winter developing their "mine". She told us of the year she got in the winter meat by killing a moose as it struggled to climb up the steep bank in front of their cabin. An impressive story made even moreso when she described killing the moose with an axe! Her husband was angry with her for taking the risk but she said she didn't have time to go back to the cabin for the 303. This seems quite recent when I think of it but I guess it was over fifty years ago so, perhaps, not modern day by the reckoning of some. GD