Funny this topic. To this day the best "bang" for the buck is a 1960's used Sheridan.

Solid walnut, and brass construction, with todays pellets in .20 cal it will go over 800fps, and there is not likely a more accurate airgun made for a "plinker or hunter. Not sure anyone is gonna need more accuracy then being able to shoot flys off a picket fence at 20 yards.

It's self contained so no scuba tank, and it has zero recoil so there is no learning curve to figure as there is with a springer.

I've gone down the road of the springer. I have spent more money on repairs to them then I have for the whole Sheridan rifle. I have had a Sheridan rifle since 1963 and have had the packing for the valves refurbished one time fo 15 dollars and it took me 30 minutes to do it myself.

I have no way of knowing how many pellets this thing has shot, but as a kid I could go through a box of 500 in a week during the summer and often many more then that. My Pro Elite Springer and the Beeman with the Gas Ram both had failures in the power system. The Air Arms Pro Elite was 240.00 to fix which is what I paid for it. and the R3 ( I think it was a gas ram) was well over 100 without the shipping.

I had a PCP that never broke, but the nagging tank to pack around was a nightmare for me. It was at that time I felt like the best overall airgun was still the 50 year old Sheridan. Man I killed a lotta stuff with that rifle!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)