I was reminded of this example, from a book I read back in 1978 which was the subject of one of those reality T.V. shows. I just remembered the book and was told it was on T.V. but didn't see the program. The detective in the story was a reknowned guy back when.

A detective, whose name I can't remember, in NYC was driving to work along the shore of NY somewhere. He noticed the woman driving in front of him who nslumped over and crashed.

It was found that she'd been hit in the head by a bullet. The back window of the car was open, through which the bullet entered.

The dective, IIRC, investigated the incident. It was found that someone on a boat was shooting at a shark, or at least shooting on the water with a 30-06 and the bullet ricocheted. It was a LONG distance, which I can't remember. Anyway, thorough phenomonally bad luck the bullet traveled a long distance, went through the open back window, and struck the woman. Had the window been up, it probably wouldn't have killed her.

The one who shot was discovered, confessed, I think, and convicted of manslaughter.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06