Originally Posted by Rambling_Razorback
Wondering what would be involved in rechambering a Rem 700 from .243 to 6mm Rem. Is that even possible? How much barrel length would you lose if it is possible?

I'm afraid it's NOT possible. If one would take a good look at a reloading manual, one would see that the .243 is shorter but fatter. The 6mm is longer, but skinnier with more case taper...

In actual usage, there is not enough difference to make a signififcant gain in velocity. If one has a "fast" .243, it can and does often shoot higher velocities than a "slow" 6mm. What I'm saying is that the difference is less that the difference between a "fast" and a "slow" bbl.

A .243 will kill a deer just as far away as a 6mm given identical bullet placement... And just as dead! And if you don't believe me, perhaps you should get one of each, and start chronographing... It'll open your eyes...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"