Originally Posted by hunt_ak
Thanks for the info, Scott.

I pretty much had my eye on the brushed aluminum ones simply for durability. My Dad has the glass fount Genie III, like yourself and you brought up a very good point about seeing the fuel level...may have to re-think my strategy.

Do you have any experience with the light boosters?

We have two light boosters but do not need/use them here at sea level. Above 2,000 feet elevation they are a big help. We did not notice a big difference when we moved here so we put them away. You have motivated me to get them out and try them again.

I know the Aladdin we used the other day was SO INCREDIBLY BRIGHT that you could not look directly at the mantle. I did see a video on youtube with one using a shade. Do you utilize a shade on any of your units?

We have a paper shade and base. We are not using it now but may in the near future. We are still getting unpacked and settled in our new cabin. The shade makes it a bit of a pain to light and fill but we did enjoy the shade when we used it in Oregon.

Also, do you have the ones with the pedestal based (the table model) or the one without (the shelf model)?

We have an old model brass table lamp we do not use. it is from the turn of the century and we are looking for a replacement part no longer available from Aladdin. We have a brushed aluminum table model that is over fifty years old and works like a champ. then we have a twenty year old Genie and a new Genie III. I am thinking about another Genie III and two more wall hanging brackets. That way we can move the Genie IIIs from hanger to hanger where ever we need them and not have to take up valuable table top space. If you live in a 480 some square foot cabin then space becomes an issue. wink

We also have a double wick lamp from Lehmans. It is great if we want a quick light. It is the lamp we light when we first come home in the dark and it may be the only lamp we light if we are just going to bed. It produces less light than the Aladdins but it so quick, easy and produces a lot of light and looks nice. Check it out LAMP

One other thing to keep in mind. You need to use oil lamps. They are nice for looking at but many people keep them for emergency and find when they need them to oil has evaporated into a sticky mess and they cannot open them to refill. If you leave them empty then it takes an hour for an Aladdin to wick up enough to burn. So fill them, use them and keep them in good shape for when the lights go out and they will be ready to chase the dark away.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!