Jburner,
Man, that is an enourmous amount of elephants, I would not care for that job..I have culled an enourmous number of buffalo and plainsgame by US standards, but probably not that many by the old African PHs standards, and after a while it started to bother me. Todays young PHs have not culled many either, albiet a number of them claim otherwise to clients. The old culling days of the big 5 have pretty much come and gone and the numbers culled today are not impressive as far as I know. Another generation has passed it seems.

Many of the old PHs have told me how hard culling became for them..but by the same token I would not trade those experiences for the world. I have been on several elephant cull hunts, and on rogue elephant or problem elephant hunts wherein I was not allowed to shoot, and its something to behold, especially the very young ones. But I realize its a necessity, and is the salvation of the elephant in Africa..they just require an enourmous amount of feed and Africa is shrinking. I fear with the indigenous government takeovers, the bush meat market is growing, especially in Zimbabwe, and the world is changing too fast for me...I hope our children will know the Africa that I have known, but even now its 100% different than when I first stepped foot on that continent and the last 15 or 20 years have been dramatic...