The Turks will work, however, there are dimensional quality variations that can drive a smith nuts. For example, the VZ24 primary to secondary torque shoulder measurement will vary about .001 as you run around the ring. A Turk may well go .005 to.010. I built 3 Turks in 2002, and cursed everyone of them.
The VZ24 was adopted in 1924, hence the '24'. It is the same action as the 98/22. The 1922 verzion has a 29+" barrel and the VZ barrel is shorter. You should be able to find a 98/22 or VZ24 for well under a $100. The problems with them are, the 98/22's are often pitted under the wood line and the VZ's usually have the crest scrubbed. Depending on who did the scrubbing, the action may be undesireable for sporting.
The early German 98's are great, but as the war progressed, quality went down hill. Avoid the Yugos as they are shorter.
If you get a rifle that has already been sported, be sure that the scope holes are in it straight and on center. You cannot easily fix screwed up scope base holes. I just had to make bases for an '03 that was drilled off center. To pay someone to make bases would be prohibitive.
The long and short of it, is that the action in question, if not buggered, would make a nice rifle. Is spending another $50 worth not having to spend months looking for another action? Only you can answer that question. I would spend the money if the action was not butchered.
My 338 is built on an Obendorf from 1936. It was pretty pricey when I had it built, but that was in 1974. After 30 years, it looks like money well spent. Mike