Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Mike378
Originally Posted by BobinNH
There is no sense bringing improperly-timed CRF's into the equation because this is like evaluating how a tire is running when it is flat.

It is valid because it is a design issue.

It is the same as saying you have to exclude crap ammo or varying rim and/or extractor groove dimensions. By its very nature the CRF needs a lot going for it and that is a design fault.

That's an interesting observation...............perhaps you could enlighten us as to how to improve it? If you can, I know some good patent attorneys in the states,and some overseas firms. You could make a lot of money after you redesign the Mauser 98;after all,, I think there are what?...only 8 maybe 10 million Mausers that have been manufactured? You should be able to beat that.... grin

Well of course the improvement is PF and especially an inline feed PF.

But where this whole argument is flawed is not taking into account varying conditions.

The basic design fault with CRF is its need for good ammo and the rifle being setup correctly. But of course if someone is going to Africa they will only shoot a few rounds and thye can make sure all is OK, no protruding primers, different dimenstions, nicks on case rims etc. But if you are pro roo shooter that shoots every night and you milk the very last shot out of your brass CRF is not good. I grew up with M17s in Australia that were rebarreled to 270. We would have different 30/06 necked down, usually ex military and European [bleep] like Hirtenberger. Plenty of stuff that at one end would not slide under the extractor and at the other end the case would be left sitting on the follower.

Stick 5 round of 270 with protruding primers in a PF M70 and you get 5 bangs. A CRF M70 is out of action.

Personally, what I like about CRF is being able to run cartrdiges through a magazine without closing the bolt and also have the rifle ready with bolt forward but not turned down. Only need to pull the bolt back. I also think some calibres if the rifle is expensive just go with CRF, 375 and 416 Rigby being two obvious examples.

But if my life depended on repeat fire I would want an inline PF.

As a side note if you would like some new gun forums to look at just use Google for CRF Vs PF and that will get most guns/hunting forums grin