I love the .222, owned many of them..they all shot the 60 gr. bullets well, not as well as the lighter bullets as a rule but within an inch and a half and thats all you need for deer and then some, so take that into account..

I have shot many deer with the 222 Remington under simi controlled conditions as have all my kids and grandkids..I only use the 60 gr. Horndady HP and SPs as they have worked wonderfully for me for the last 60 or more years. Keep all shots at 200 yards or under and under is better, standing broadside and place the shot in the lungs or heart, otherwise your in for a hell of a tracking job with no blood and probably a lost deer. We have never lost a deer with a hi-vel 22 btw, but we pass on iffy shots as we have plenty of opertunities. I believe it to be and excellent beginners rifle and a meat gun. I wouldn't pick it for trophy hunting anymore than I would my old .25-35, but for shooting a doe or spike buck for meat at close range they both suit me fine.

I don't know of a hunt that I enjoy anymore than walking around behind my house with our old .222 or 25-35 trying to sneak up on a good buck, but mostly watching them bounce off over the saddle as the range was a bit too far, and If I dont' get real lucky I end up settling for a spike, forky or doe for meat, and nothing wrong with that as far as I am concerned..

As to varmints that's a given, it can't be beat, especially when you are shooting high volume such as PDs...it heats up slower, cools down quicker, ammo is cheaper, brass is cheaper..It's only competition is the 223 because of its military availability of components, and its a tad better velocity and trajectory I suppose, but not noticeable in the field..

What I see is some folks have not used the 22s or they would know that those that advocate its use under certain circumstances are correct, its not what you use, it'
s how you use it..Archers know this, Muzzle loaders know this, and those that have hunted as opposed to read to much know this.. I have seen many deer wounded with all those good deer rifles btw, There is no substitue for good shooting and a properly constructed bullet, caliber is secondary IMO..

Last edited by atkinson; 02/12/10.