That's where I hunt every year. Elk are always there somewhere but often hard to find.
I used to have one resident herd wired, knew where they would travel every morning and how they would return every night, but logging in the area has changed their habits and I haven't figured them out again.
Green ridge and the area off Willow creek road, back toward troublesome Pass is overcrowded, lots of horse packers back in there. Sometimes when the weather turns you can catch them coming down off Parkview Mountain. On the other side of 125 around Jack Creek and Owl mountain is overworked. The BLM land out toward the reserve has lot of Elk but getting close enough for a shot is not easy. I've only had one chance under 500 yards. Small groups often work back and forth between the reserve and the Buffalo creek ranch.
If you don't mind packing in, I'd suggest getting high back in toward Parkview and the Haystack.
Your friend is correct, there are some (few) good bulls in there but it takes either luck or a lot of work.